City of Whittlesea is a leading Local Government Fellow of the Supply Chain Sustainability School, alongside City of Port Phillip and City of Wyndham.
The City of Whittlesea is located in the rapidly expanding region of Melbourne’s north, located about 20km from the Central Business District (CBD), Melbourne Airport, the docks and seaport area, and rail freight terminals.
The City of Whittlesea is one of the largest municipalities in metropolitan Melbourne, covering an area of approximately 489 square kilometres. About 70 per cent of the City is rural area, with the other 30 per cent being urban area, comprising houses, shops and factories. There are more than 13,000 businesses operating across the City of Whittlesea. The three highest industry sector employers in the municipality are Health Care and Social Assistance (13%); Retail Trade (12%); and Construction (10%).
The City of Whittlesea is one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Australia. The City of Whittlesea currently welcomes around 8,000 new residents per year (about 156 a week). Their population is approximately 223,566 and expected to grow to 382,896 by 2041. In 2016, almost half of all local residents (over 86,000 residents) spoke a language other than English at home. In 2016, our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population was 1,635 people, the second-largest in Metropolitan Melbourne. In 2010 the Victorian Government introduced the Urban Growth Zone, increasing land for 90,000 new residential blocks, within areas known as Melbourne’s 7 growth areas, including the City of Whittlesea.
City of Whittlesea is committed to sustainability outcomes through its endorsed Community and Corporate Plans, Whittlesea 2040: A place for all, Environmental Sustainability Strategy 2012-2022, Zero Net Emissions 2022 Plan, Procurement Policy and numerous supporting guidelines. Whittlesea 2040: A place for all is the long-term vision for the City of Whittlesea. It guides all of Council’s work and future partnerships with the community and others.
City of Whittlesea has partnered with the Supply Chain Sustainability School so suppliers can access free online sustainability training that will assist City of Whittlesea’s supply chain in collaborating with Council to deliver on its sustainability commitments. The Supply Chain Sustainability School provides tailored learning resources for both Council suppliers and staff, so to improve sustainability knowledge and capacity and therefore better integrate sustainability requirements into procurement approaches and decisions.
Go to City of Whittlesea’s Partner Project Page to find links to sustainability learning resources relevant to your business.